Home » I want to stay in GB

I want to stay in GB

What can I do for that?

If you have been staying in GB in a long-term manner and you have not acquired the British citizenship yet and you plan to remain in Great Britain even after Britain leaves the European Union, you shall try and acquire the Resident Status. This is an administrative procedure the successful completion of which (being granted the Resident Status) guarantees to you that if you remain living in Great Britain, you will pretty much have the same rights (and obligations) as the citizens of Great Britain. Therefore, you will, for example: be able to work, perform business activities, apply for social benefits, register your children for pre-school and school education, participate in the health insurance system and register at a doctor’s office, etc.

Conditions for the opportunity to apply for the Resident Status: 

  • proving your identity (IC, passport)
  • your permanent stay in Great Britain for the period of 5 years which you shall be able to prove (NIN, work agreement and other)


How and where can you apply for the Resident Status?

1. Via an application downloaded to your mobile phone. Proceed as follows:

  • Download the EU Exit: ID Document Check app to your phone.
  • After running it, you shall scan your passport or identity card, enter your phone number and your email. Thereupon, you shall scan your face and take a picture of yourself.
  • Thereupon, you will be redirected to a website where you will answer questions regarding the length of your stay in the UK, your residency, etc. If you have used your IC for the application, you will be asked to send your IC to Home Office.

2. Via your computer and internet

  • If you do not have a phone, you can apply for the Resident Status via a website (https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status).
  • Given the fact that you cannot scan your passport / IC over the computer, you will have to send your identification document to Home Office by postal services.
  • Upon completing the application, you shall receive a confirmation to your email that you have just properly sent the application (Application submitted) and then a second email with a confirmation that your application was taken over by the clerks (Your EU Settlement Application). In this email, you shall find your 16-digit reference number.
  • You shall receive the confirmation regarding your Resident Status to your email. In the annex, you shall find the document titled Status Outcome which serves as confirmation of your status.
  • It is important to check all the folders in the email (sometimes, the emails from the Home Office end up in the bin or spam). Most people receive their Status within 2 months. If you have not received any response, you can call to the Home Office.
  • The status with the photo may be printed by clicking this link (https://www.gov.uk/view-prove-immigration-status), entering the number of your document (passport or IC), date of birth and a code which you shall receive to your phone or to your email.


If I do not meet the conditions for the Resident Status, what will happen to me?

You can apply for the Resident Status even though you do not meet the conditions, and it is possible that you will be granted the Preliminary Resident Status. The most often unmet condition is the undivided stay in GB for five years, or that you are unable to prove that you have been staying in Great Britain for 5 and more years.


Since when and till when can I apply?

The applications are open for a few months and you can apply till 31/06/2021.


What shall I do if I was not granted the Resident Status or I did not even apply for it? Is there any penalty which I will face (such as being deported to the Czech Republic) if I stay in GB without the Resident Status?

  • The Home Office has made an announcement that the application for the Resident Status will only be dismissed in extraordinary cases and usually when someone was convicted for the most serious criminal acts or for repeated criminal activity.
  • If you fail to apply for the Resident Status by 31/06/2021 without a serious reason for not doing so, it is probable that you will lose your right to work, study or receive social benefits. You do not have to fear the deportation from GB, although it is not very wise to stay there on a long-term basis – or permanently live in GB without the Resident Status.
  • If your status has been dismissed, you may contact the Home Office and request a review or you can appeal against the decision.


Whom or which organization shall I contact if I need help?

COMPAS Charity (Petersborough), Citizens Advice Bureau, etc.


Useful links:

  1. Application for the Resident Statushttps://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status
  2. Link through which you can continue in an already commenced application - https://user-auth.apply-for-eu-settled-status.homeoffice.gov.uk/auth/realms/AUK/protocol/openid-connect/auth?client_id=accessuk&state=c40d6cdc-ed18-4e72-8bfd-ed2dcef5fcf1&redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapply-for-eu-settled-status.homeoffice.gov.uk%2Feu-settlement%2F0%2F%27%3Fauth_callback%3D1&scope=openid&response_type=code
  3. For the purposes of printing the status, use this link - https://www.gov.uk/view-prove-immigration-status
  4. List of documents through which you may prove your stay in the UK - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/eu-settlement-scheme-statement-of-intent/annex-a-documentary-evidence-of-continuous-residence-in-the-uk
  5. Information on the status in various languages - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/settled-status-for-eu-citizens-and-their-families-translations
  6. List of organizations which will help you with the application - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/eu-settlement-scheme-community-support-for-vulnerable-citizens/list-of-organisations

Užitečné odkazy

nezisková organizace a poskytovatel sociálních služeb
charitativní organizace Peterborough
Kancelář Veřejného ochránce práv („ombudsmana“)
Ministerstvo práce a sociálních věcí České republiky
Ministerstvo zahraničních věcí České republiky
nezisková organizace, partner projektu ve Velké Británii